Patron to the 'Friends of Salt and Hopton Churches': The Earl of Shrewsbury DL
St James the Great
St. James the Great is a grade II listed building completed in 1842. Most of the interior, including a new pulpit and pews, was replaced in 1892. There is a large stained glass rose window over the altar at the east end of the church and a rood screen that was installed in 1908.
Hopton Church came about because of the generosity of the Earl of Shrewsbury. Hopton parishioners no longer had to walk the two miles to Salt. In 1876 the first service was held. The chapel remains virtually the same as it did then, with simple facilities but a strong congregation.
What are we doing in Salt and Hopton...
Our building appeal
For News of our fundraising to install a new heating system in St James, and who is supporting us...
our Lottery result
For news of the latest prizewinners, and how to join...
what are we doing
Lord Shrewsbury – Patron of the
‘Friends of Salt and Hopton Churches’
The 'Friends of Salt and Hopton Churches' are proud to have Lord Shrewsbury as patron of the Friends society.
Back in 1842, the 17th Earl of Shrewsbury completed the building of St James the Great Church, to serve the village of Salt, and its associated hamlet, Enson, so we are grateful to have the present Lord Shrewsbury to spearhead our 2020 appeal.
The Friends of Salt and Hopton Churches have now restarted fundraising to keep our churches in good condition. For information about our events please see our Newsletter.
© Copyright Salt and Hopton Churches